POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : using both a global and a local .ini file : Re: using both a global and a local .ini file Server Time
16 May 2024 23:59:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: using both a global and a local .ini file
From: Klaus Nowikow
Date: 11 Jun 2009 08:52:24
Message: <4a30fe08@news.povray.org>
Doctor John wrote:
>> Klaus Nowikow wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> I put some include files that I downloaded or created myself into
>>> %HOME/povray/include and created a local ini file
>>> $HOME/.povray/3.6/povray.ini containing a corresponding Library_Path
>>> entry. When I start povray now, it seems to ignore the global ini file
>>> and only use my local one, thus not finding the standard libraries any
>>> more. Is there a way to tell povray to use the global file first and
>>> then load the local one?
 >>> [...]
>> Why not just put the paths in your local ini?

I'd rather avoid copying the global ini, because it is not directly
under my control and I'd have to copy it again when it was updated.

But thank you for your suggestion, it is an option if anything else
fails.

> Sorry, forgot to add that POV will search in the order (I quote from the
> manual, but the numbering is mine):
>
> 1. The place defined by the POVINI environment variable. When you want
> to use an INI file at a custom location you can set this environment
> variable.
> 2. ./povray.ini
> 3. $HOME/.povray/3.6/povray.ini
> 4. PREFIX/etc/povray/3.6/povray.ini (PREFIX by default is /usr/local)
>
> IIRC having found one file it probably stops searching (I could be wrong)

Yes, that would be consistent with my observations.

Actually, that means that if I had a project-local ini file, I'd also
have to copy my account-local ini file into that one and probably to
adapt it if I move my project to another computer -- possibly with
Windows instead of Linux, where the paths will definitely be different.

I'd rather have POV read all the ini files in the reverse order -- from
most global to most local.

--
Klaus