POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : using both a global and a local .ini file : Re: using both a global and a local .ini file Server Time
17 May 2024 01:46:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: using both a global and a local .ini file
From: Doctor John
Date: 11 Jun 2009 08:11:13
Message: <4a30f461@news.povray.org>
Doctor John wrote:
> Klaus Nowikow wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I am using povray-3.6.1 on Gentoo. There's a global ini
>> file /etc/povray/povray.ini containing some Library_Path entries
>> for the standard libs.
>>
>> I put some include files that I downloaded or created myself into
>> %HOME/povray/include and created a local ini file
>> $HOME/.povray/3.6/povray.ini containing a corresponding Library_Path
>> entry. When I start povray now, it seems to ignore the global ini file
>> and only use my local one, thus not finding the standard libraries any
>> more. Is there a way to tell povray to use the global file first and
>> then load the local one?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Klaus
> Why not just put the paths in your local ini?
> This is in mine:
>
> Library_Path="/usr/local/share/povray-3.6"
> Library_Path="/usr/local/share/povray-3.6/ini"
> Library_Path="/usr/local/share/povray-3.6/include"
> Library_Path="/home/john/povray/include"
>
> BTW POV doesn't care about repeated library paths
>
> John
Sorry, forgot to add that POV will search in the order (I quote from the
manual, but the numbering is mine):

1. The place defined by the POVINI environment variable. When you want
to use an INI file at a custom location you can set this environment
variable.
2. ./povray.ini
3. $HOME/.povray/3.6/povray.ini
4. PREFIX/etc/povray/3.6/povray.ini (PREFIX by default is /usr/local)

IIRC having found one file it probably stops searching (I could be wrong)

John
--
"Eppur si muove" - Galileo Galilei