POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Crazy ideas for Monday morning : Re: Crazy ideas for Monday morning Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:25:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crazy ideas for Monday morning
From: Invisible
Date: 11 Jun 2009 04:22:07
Message: <4a30beaf$1@news.povray.org>
>> On the other hand, anybody with a real education would already know how
>> to do algebra and solve equations. It's only me who's had to guess that
>> stuff from what I can scrounge off the Internet and invent off the top
>> of my head.
>
> In other words, you overcame circumstances rather than giving up.  That's
> more than most people will do.  You did real research instead of having
> it handed to you in a classroom.

On the other hand, somebody taught in a classroom would have a complete
coverage of the subject, not just bits and pieces of it.

(I tell you, the number of times I've spent weeks working something out,
only to discover that there's some textbook somewhere with the exact
solution I was looking for already written down... If I had a thorough
knowledge of the subject, I'd have known the answer in the first place!)

>> Hey, I think the entire freakin' server is unanimous in this agreement
>> that I need another job. You won't find me arguing! The question is, can
>> I actually get one? Am I good enough?
>
> You can get one, and you are good enough.  Those that turn you down
> aren't good enough for you because they're not willing to look at what
> your capabilities are.

I worry though - on paper, I don't sound very impressive at all. Will I
ever get past the initial deselection?

>> I'm a little... concerned that I didn't get one of those "thank you for
>> your application" type emails when I sent the form in. It asks for an
>> email address, and typically they do that kind of them.
>
> It may be that they don't do that, but rather they send the information
> along and have someone personally reply.

It's a web form. Any 6 year old with a web browser can submit an
application. They must be getting several hundred million *per hour*.
Obviously they will have been prepared for this, and will have an
automated system of some kind to filter out the garbage. I just hope
they don't filter *me* out!

> Give it a couple of days, and if you don't hear anything, write back.

Don't have a way to do that.

>> Also not amusing: Sending my details over an unencrypted link? What, you
>> couldn't afford HTTPS??
>
> After you get a job there, this would be something to ask about.

Heh, yeah...