POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hypothesis #2 : Re: Hypothesis #2 Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:15:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hypothesis #2
From: Tim Attwood
Date: 10 Jun 2009 20:01:17
Message: <4a30494d$1@news.povray.org>
> Lots of people seem to think I'm a really clever guy.
>
> My interests include such topics as computer programming, cryptology,
> data compression, digital signal processing, fractals, music theory,
> artificial intelligence, logic design, and so forth.
>
> One time, I spent 4 hours shifting algebra, and managed to correctly
> derive the binomial theorum from first principles. Another time, I sat
> down and learned to program in PostScript in my lunch break, just for
> the hell of it.
>
> Lots of people think I'm clever, but am I?
>
> My hypothesis: I'm actually not very intelligent at all. But because I
> have no life and I'm too stupid to get bored, I make up for intelligence
> by persistence.
>
> Basically I'm the sort of sad loser who will spend 4 hours trying to
> work out something, when normal people would give up and go do something
> productive. If I were *actually* intelligent it would only take 4
> minutes to work out. I don't think I figure things out more quickly than
> other people, it's just that I'm too stupid to get bored. My tiny little
> brain is captivated by irrelevant things like the binomial theorum for
> hours on end, while any healthy individual would go find something more
> entertaining.
>
> In a directly related mannar, I'm beginning to realise that I'm not
> actually very good at playing music either. Even the simplest keyboard
> exercises baffle me. It seems that I can play the Widor Toccata, not so
> much because of my vast skill, but because I've expended a ridiculous
> amoung of time practising it. A *geniunely* talented musician would
> probably pick it up in a few minutes. That's why it's marked as only
> "moderate" difficulty. But it's taken me 9 months so far, and I still
> haven't mastered it yet.

Yeah, maybe you have a mild form of Savant syndrome...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savant_syndrome
or maybe Asperger's syndrome...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger%27s_syndrome
I wouldn't worry about it too much.
My theory is, if you were really retarded, you'd be much smarter.
There's a good paradox for you.  =)

After you worry about that for a while, you can worry about
actually being too average to matter. There's nothing worse
than unintended mediocrity.