POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Crazy ideas for Monday morning : Re: Crazy ideas for Monday morning Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:28:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crazy ideas for Monday morning
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 10 Jun 2009 18:01:54
Message: <4a302d52$1@news.povray.org>
On 06/10/09 15:56, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Well, this is specifically for Wolfram Alpha. Check out the application
> form. There's only space for, like, 300 words, and they specifically
> want one "large project". I have many, many, MANY tiny projects.

	My mistake. I thought it was for a resume.

	Regardless, put it on the resume/CV. Take the details you put in your
post and make it a bit more organized.

	Also, it'd be great if you make a static web page and put as much of
the above code there, with the descriptions that your provided. You
could put that on your resume.

>> Doesn't matter. Most of these are non-trivial.
>
> You think??

	Yup.

	I was talking to a CS Master's student in a program ranked in the top 5
in this country. He was taking a probability course where he had to
compute some expected values of stuff like coin flips with certain
constraints. Some were tricky to calculate, and he was asking for help.
I was busy/lazy, so I told him to first simulate the system
(straightforward - some would take less than 10 lines in a decent
language) and use that as a test of his calculations.

	He had a great deal of trouble writing code for this, and he gave up.

	Now granted, his background is not in CS (some other engineering). But
it gives you an idea of who you're competing with. And people like him
get hired.

	In any case, I don't see too much harm in putting this stuff in the
Wolfram application if you can't think of a "big" project. I doubt they
keep blacklists.

--
On a Taxidermist's window:
"We really know our stuff."