POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : So ... when is "piracy" wrong? : Re: So ... when is "piracy" wrong? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:27:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: So ... when is "piracy" wrong?
From: somebody
Date: 10 Jun 2009 17:25:58
Message: <4a3024e6$1@news.povray.org>
"Jim Henderson" <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote in message
> On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 14:16:13 -0600, somebody wrote:

> > Why does a
> > failure some place give a moral free pass to make up for it?

> The failure doesn't.  The fact that you have paid for the license to view
> the program does.

You'd have a point if you ask for a discount on the cable bill for a mess up
caused by them. Otherwise, it feels to me like expectation of a case of two
wrongs to make a right.

Another example: You rent out a movie but never get the time to watch it
(maybe through external circumstances). Is it OK, since you paid for the
license to view it but did not, to download from torrent later?

More generally, it it morally acceptable to download *any and all* movies or
programs that have at one time or another been broadcast on a cable package
while you were subscribed to it? You have certainly paid for the license to
view all those programs, after all.

Or take music... Since we pay (in one form or another) to listen to any
music that is broadcast over the radio, are we then entitled to download any
mp3 that has ever been broadcast in our lifetimes?