POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Crazy ideas for Monday morning : Re: Crazy ideas for Monday morning Server Time
9 Oct 2024 06:59:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crazy ideas for Monday morning
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 10 Jun 2009 17:19:55
Message: <4a30237b$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 22:14:12 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> On the other hand, anybody with a real education would already know how
> to do algebra and solve equations. It's only me who's had to guess that
> stuff from what I can scrounge off the Internet and invent off the top
> of my head.

In other words, you overcame circumstances rather than giving up.  That's
more than most people will do.  You did real research instead of having
it handed to you in a classroom.

>> And there's your incentive to look for something more "in your field".
>> :-)
>
> Hey, I think the entire freakin' server is unanimous in this agreement
> that I need another job. You won't find me arguing! The question is, can
> I actually get one? Am I good enough?

You can get one, and you are good enough.  Those that turn you down
aren't good enough for you because they're not willing to look at what
your capabilities are.

>>> The form is sent.
>>
>> Excellent!
>
> I'm a little... concerned that I didn't get one of those "thank you for
> your application" type emails when I sent the form in. It asks for an
> email address, and typically they do that kind of them.

It may be that they don't do that, but rather they send the information
along and have someone personally reply.

> Oh... oh God. Did I type my address wrong?!? o_O

Give it a couple of days, and if you don't hear anything, write back.
Hey, it could be that their mail server is down.

> Also not amusing: Sending my details over an unencrypted link? What, you
> couldn't afford HTTPS??

After you get a job there, this would be something to ask about.  Of
course, maybe not as "you couldn't afford a certificate" but maybe more
as "hey, you know, when I filled out the application I was a little
concerned about it being sent in the clear".  Or something during the
interview, for that matter - if there's an opportunity.  But it has to be
framed well, too.

>>> Anyway, I don't have any "working" code to hand right this exact
>>> second, and the application has been sent in now, so...
>>
>> So it's something to bring up in the interview.
>
> We shall see.

Yep. :-)

Jim