POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Crazy ideas for Monday morning : Re: Crazy ideas for Monday morning Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:28:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crazy ideas for Monday morning
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 10 Jun 2009 16:59:43
Message: <4a301ebf$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:

> So summarize a bit on the projects that impressed you the most ("I've
> written simple raytracers, foobars, and binfizes.").  Supply the code and
> let them evaluate.  Remember that an application isn't a confessional of
> the things that don't work in things you've built, it's a place to talk
> positively about what you've built.

It's more the fact that I didn't know how a raytracer worked (nor how to
solve simultaneous equations, by the way), and I worked it out from
first principles, and it actually worked when I typed it in. I was ilated!

...until I discovered that everybody else has already done it, and it's
considered a trivial college student exercise.

> So use the DR project because it was finished.  I imagine that given a
> professional goal to complete some of the projects you've started on,
> you'd finish them, but your interests are so varied that it's difficult
> to focus on a personal project for a long time.  I know a lot of people
> like that.
>
> And for people like that, being paid to do what they find interesting is
> a good incentive to finish a project that's been started.

I agree.

>> That's what I'm using. The form is basically filled out and ready to go.
>
> Good. :-)

The form is sent.

>> I don't know - is dumping a bunch of Haskell code on them which they
>> have no way of compiling going to prove anything? I could be making it
>> all up for all they know...
>
> Don't assume what their capabilities are.  You compiled it, they can get
> a compiler.  They may even look at it and say "hey, I've never heard of
> this language before", in which case you get bonus points for introducing
> them to a new language.  (I know it's hard, but resist the temptation to
> would they have heard of it?" or something along those lines.)
>
> Like I said, don't do their thinking for them.  They're capable of doing
> that.

This is Wolfram. I'm sure they'll have heard of a heavily accademic
language such as Haskell. Doesn't mean they use it.

Anyway, I don't have any "working" code to hand right this exact second,
and the application has been sent in now, so...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/