POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Crazy ideas for Monday morning : Re: Crazy ideas for Monday morning Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:14:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crazy ideas for Monday morning
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 10 Jun 2009 16:31:51
Message: <4a301837$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 21:26:26 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> Yeah, I guess. But take a look at the application form. There isn't a
> whole heap of space there. "I wrote a raytracer" doesn't seem very
> impressive. Did it trace spheres and planes? Or did it do full global
> illumination with physically-correct refraction, light attenuation and
> volumetric sampling? It makes kind of a difference.

So summarize a bit on the projects that impressed you the most ("I've
written simple raytracers, foobars, and binfizes.").  Supply the code and
let them evaluate.  Remember that an application isn't a confessional of
the things that don't work in things you've built, it's a place to talk
positively about what you've built.

>> Doesn't really matter if it's relevant to the positions they have open
>> (you don't know what they are, do you?).  They're asking about projects
>> you've worked on to get a sense of your capabilities when dealing with.
>
> I read it as "can this guy actually finish a big project, or will he get
> bored and never finish it?"

So use the DR project because it was finished.  I imagine that given a
professional goal to complete some of the projects you've started on,
you'd finish them, but your interests are so varied that it's difficult
to focus on a personal project for a long time.  I know a lot of people
like that.

And for people like that, being paid to do what they find interesting is
a good incentive to finish a project that's been started.

>> The DR project might be a good one.  You'd do well, I think, doing
>> technical writing, and that type of project shows an aptitude for it.
>
> That's what I'm using. The form is basically filled out and ready to go.

Good. :-)

>> But while you're at it, if there's a place on the application to list
>> things like that
>
> Click the link at the start of this thread to see the exact form I'm
> filling in.

Yeah, I saw it - you should know that from the next paragraph.

>> (such as the part to provide code samples - you could zip them up and
>> supply them there), include some of the ones like the language stuff,
>> the mini-Mathematica engine, that sort of thing - that shows an
>> aptitude for the sort of thing they look for in coding - but even if
>> you don't end up doing coding, you're demonstrating a knowledge in the
>> area that can tie back to being able to write technical documents about
>> it.  It's much easier to write technical materials if you understand
>> what you're writing about.
>
> I don't know - is dumping a bunch of Haskell code on them which they
> have no way of compiling going to prove anything? I could be making it
> all up for all they know...

Don't assume what their capabilities are.  You compiled it, they can get
a compiler.  They may even look at it and say "hey, I've never heard of
this language before", in which case you get bonus points for introducing
them to a new language.  (I know it's hard, but resist the temptation to
would they have heard of it?" or something along those lines.)

Like I said, don't do their thinking for them.  They're capable of doing
that.

Jim