POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hypothesis #2 : Re: Hypothesis #2 Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:17:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hypothesis #2
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 10 Jun 2009 14:50:34
Message: <4a30007a$1@news.povray.org>
>> My hypothesis: I'm actually not very intelligent at all.
>
> That would be incorrect.  Many intelligent people don't see how stupid
> most people are.

Perhaps. I don't have any way to verify or refute this one. ;-)

>> Basically I'm the sort of sad loser who will spend 4 hours trying to
>> work out something, when normal people would give up and go do
>> something productive.
>
> You mean, they'd give up because they can't do it, and go off and do
> something they're not too stupid to do.

They can't do it?

Or they just don't *want* to do it?

I suspect that if they bothered to try, they probably could. And most of
them could do it a lot better than me without nearly as much effort as
it takes for me.

I can't prove that of course. That's what makes it a hypothesis.

>> while any healthy individual would go find something more entertaining.
>
> Nonsense. You were entertaining yourself, which is more than what most
> people are capable of.

Maybe.

>> In a directly related mannar, I'm beginning to realise that I'm not
>> actually very good at playing music either.
>
> Condoleezza Rice was recently on an interview I saw. She said she wanted
> to play the concert piano when she was young. When she was 15 or so, she
> went somewhere and saw 8-year-olds sight-reading music and playing it
> better than she could after months of practice. So she figured she'd
> need a different career.
>
> I don't think she made a bad choice.

Well, maybe. I think we're all in agreement that my life choices thus
far pretty much suck.

> If you enjoy it, then you're good enough at it. I played music for years
> in school, and I hated it. Be happy you've found something you can enjoy
> practicing even if you aren't a natural at it.
>
>> haven't mastered it yet.
>
> So? :-)

That's what I'm saying. To a talented musicial, this isn't that hard.
Which fairly clearly demonstrates that I'm not a talented musician.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/