POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hypothesis #2 : Re: Hypothesis #2 Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:12:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hypothesis #2
From: nemesis
Date: 10 Jun 2009 12:50:50
Message: <4a2fe46a@news.povray.org>
Invisible escreveu:
> My hypothesis: I'm actually not very intelligent at all. But because I
> have no life and I'm too stupid to get bored, I make up for intelligence
> by persistence.
>
> Basically I'm the sort of sad loser who will spend 4 hours trying to
> work out something, when normal people would give up and go do something
> productive.

Like getting laid?  If mankind depended on such people for progress,
we'd still be living on hunting and being hunted -- they were very
needed indeed for repopulating after the tribe was slaughtered by lions.
  Astute, observing, persistent people are needed for truly getting
anywhere beyond basic wilderness.

Who knows?  Maybe those 4 hours on deriving algebra theorems will give
you some clue about some obscure math property?

> If I were *actually* intelligent it would only take 4
> minutes to work out.

That's a lie:
http://creatingminds.org/quotes/effort.htm

an excerpt:

spare me if you don't know the guy.

> In a directly related mannar, I'm beginning to realise that I'm not
> actually very good at playing music either. Even the simplest keyboard
> exercises baffle me. It seems that I can play the Widor Toccata, not so
> much because of my vast skill, but because I've expended a ridiculous
> amoung of time practising it. A *geniunely* talented musician would
> probably pick it up in a few minutes.

*Genuinely* talented musicians like, say, Liszt or Mozart, began to play
keyboard very early on their lifes, before they even learned to read.
They were downright forced by their parents to be prodigious child.

So, if you have not been training 8 hours a day since you were 3 or 4,
don't get pissed at your parents for not being hard enough...