POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Passion of the Christ : Re: Passion of the Christ Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:17:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Passion of the Christ
From: Darren New
Date: 10 Jun 2009 12:33:30
Message: <4a2fe05a$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> Well, maybe, but what's wrong with that?

Nothing, if you accept irrationality.

> Religion has always been used
> to explain that which can't be explained.  The ancient Romans used a
> polytheistic system to explain various scientific phenomena that they
> couldn't understand.

Is this really true?  Did romans *really* think Zeus threw lightning bolts,
or was it that Zeus was in their stories and he just got assigned the blame?

I mean, did they really think Apollo was towing the sun with his chariot, or
was it "we don't know why the sun moves, but babies come from storks" kind
of things?  Nobody believes that the wolf would dress up like grandma, but
it's a good story because it keeps young kids from wandering into the woods
and getting eaten.

> This isn't a binary option - ie it's not "either you believe the whole
> bible is the truth as written or you believe the whole thing is
> fiction".  Mythologies don't evolve that way.

I don't think the concern is with people who only believe some parts. I
think the concern is with people who only believe some parts, but then want
to force you to follow their interpretation of those parts because it's from
God.

> (BTW, you really need to break your writings up into paragraphs

Or even sentences. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Insanity is a small city on the western