POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Passion of the Christ : Re: Passion of the Christ Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:16:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Passion of the Christ
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 10 Jun 2009 11:51:52
Message: <4a2fd698$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 20:37:51 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Well, I wouldn't say all people who believe in a God (NB difference
>> from "supernatural explanations") refuse to see things that don't
>> support that position.  There are quite a few people in the scientific
>> community who believe in "god(s)" and who acknowledge that there is a
>> bit of a strange dichotomy there.  They generally rationalize this by
>> saying that what they believe in is that there is more to the universe
>> than we know, and that there may well be something (or indeed someone)
>> there that (who) has a bigger view.
>>
> Its also a bit of a cop out.

Well, maybe, but what's wrong with that?  Religion has always been used
to explain that which can't be explained.  The ancient Romans used a
polytheistic system to explain various scientific phenomena that they
couldn't understand.  There's a well-established historical precedent for
using it that way.

This isn't a binary option - ie it's not "either you believe the whole
bible is the truth as written or you believe the whole thing is
fiction".  Mythologies don't evolve that way.

I'm not a believer, but I do see how it is that some people can believe,
and I can't begrudge them their beliefs if they work for them.

(BTW, you really need to break your writings up into paragraphs - your
post was incredibly difficult to read)

Jim