POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Things that make you go hmm... : Re: Things that make you go hmm... Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:14:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Things that make you go hmm...
From: Darren New
Date: 10 Jun 2009 10:58:27
Message: <4a2fca13@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Clearly I'm in the wrong line of business. :-P

I say this every time I get involved in a payment processing company that
goes broke after the people using it to sell porn rake in $50K/month.

> very simple question: How the HELL do you use something like Mathematica
> "commercially"?!?!!

Predicting the stock market. Engineering.  Theoretical physics.

> who the hell does math as part of their day job?

Why not write to the makers and ask what companies they've sold to near you?
Then apply for a job.

> About the closest thing I can think of is engineering; but they aren't
> going to use Mathematica, they're going to use a dedicated CAD system to
> do finite element simulations and so forth.

Someone has to figure out how those finite element simulations work.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Insanity is a small city on the western