POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hypothesis #2 : Hypothesis #2 Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:12:04 EDT (-0400)
  Hypothesis #2
From: Invisible
Date: 10 Jun 2009 10:23:01
Message: <4a2fc1c5$1@news.povray.org>
Lots of people seem to think I'm a really clever guy.

My interests include such topics as computer programming, cryptology,
data compression, digital signal processing, fractals, music theory,
artificial intelligence, logic design, and so forth.

One time, I spent 4 hours shifting algebra, and managed to correctly
derive the binomial theorum from first principles. Another time, I sat
down and learned to program in PostScript in my lunch break, just for
the hell of it.

Lots of people think I'm clever, but am I?

My hypothesis: I'm actually not very intelligent at all. But because I
have no life and I'm too stupid to get bored, I make up for intelligence
by persistence.

Basically I'm the sort of sad loser who will spend 4 hours trying to
work out something, when normal people would give up and go do something
productive. If I were *actually* intelligent it would only take 4
minutes to work out. I don't think I figure things out more quickly than
other people, it's just that I'm too stupid to get bored. My tiny little
brain is captivated by irrelevant things like the binomial theorum for
hours on end, while any healthy individual would go find something more
entertaining.

In a directly related mannar, I'm beginning to realise that I'm not
actually very good at playing music either. Even the simplest keyboard
exercises baffle me. It seems that I can play the Widor Toccata, not so
much because of my vast skill, but because I've expended a ridiculous
amoung of time practising it. A *geniunely* talented musician would
probably pick it up in a few minutes. That's why it's marked as only
"moderate" difficulty. But it's taken me 9 months so far, and I still
haven't mastered it yet.