POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Things that make you go hmm... : Re: Things that make you go hmm... Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:18:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Things that make you go hmm...
From: Invisible
Date: 10 Jun 2009 09:05:40
Message: <4a2fafa4$1@news.povray.org>
>> The thing that's really bugging me now... So, I can get Mathematica

>> This a very simple question: How the HELL do you use something like
>> Mathematica "commercially"?!?!!
>>
>> It solves equations and draws graphs. I can't think of a single domain
>> of commercial endevour where such a thing would actually be useful. I
>> mean, who the hell does math as part of their day job?
>
> Are you kidding me? In my former position, I was a programmer for
> motion-control systems, much of which was very math heavy. Mathematica
> could have been very useful for some of the things I worked on. I knew
> one developer who would use it regularly to solve some of the problems
> dealing with encoder counts and angular motion on 3 axes plus linear
> motion on one or two axes.. It came in handy for figuring out how many
> counts to send to the motors.

Surely that's all just arithmetic though? Once you know the mathematical
formulas involved, it's a simple case of plugging the numbers in and
getting the answers out. It's not like you're trying to derive an
approximation to the Gamma function or anything...

>> About the closest thing I can think of is engineering; but they aren't
>> going to use Mathematica, they're going to use a dedicated CAD system
>> to do finite element simulations and so forth.
>
> Yeah, our engineers use some fancy cad program to do a lot of what they
> do, but some even fall back on pocket calculators and such...

That's just because sometimes a pocket calculator is the fastest way to
quickly test something. ;-)

>> Mathematica is a wonderful toy, but I can't think of a single serious
>> "use" for it.
>
> Nonsense. It's a tool, just like a ruler, or a calculator.

In other news... when's the last time anybody used a ruler in their day job?