POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : config.log -> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lvga : Re: config.log -> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lvga Server Time
16 May 2024 23:31:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: config.log -> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lvga
From: Nicolas Calimet
Date: 9 Jun 2009 20:34:43
Message: <4a2effa3$1@news.povray.org>
> but there is no preview of the renders, why?

	Are you currently running under a graphical environment such as Gnome or KDE?
If the answer is "no", then proceed to your next question.  If the answer is yes, then
check whether POV-Ray was compiled with support for the X Window display.  When not,
you need to install the Xlib development package(s).

> Moreover, there is garbage in the output of the rendering, is it normal?

	The -lvga library is useful only if you don't run under an X Windows-based
environment (see above) but rather at the linux (text) console.  Is it truely what
you intend to do?  If yes, no graphical display means that some SVGA initialization
failed and POV-Ray reverted to an ASCII-art "display".  One possible cause of the
init failure is explained here: http://povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/786/

	The "garbage" output you report is supposed to be the ASCII-art I just mention
about.  However, it doesn't work well in POV-Ray 3.6.x.  A patch to fix the text
display
is available; see the introduction of
http://pov4grasp.free.fr/patches/3.6/frontend.php
for a description and http://pov4grasp.free.fr/patches/3.6/#frontend in case you feel
like trying to patch the POV-Ray sources.

> Graphic display......On  (gamma: 2.2)

	Well you likely missed the lines saying something went wrong.

	- NC