POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Pirate Party takes a seat in the EU : Re: The Pirate Party takes a seat in the EU Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:18:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Pirate Party takes a seat in the EU
From: somebody
Date: 9 Jun 2009 04:59:31
Message: <4a2e2473$1@news.povray.org>
"Stefan Persson" <azy### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message

> Hi everybody. Long time, no see.
>
> I'm not sure that this reached all corner of our beloved earth,
> so I thought I would flash it. I know a lot of you guys are interested
> in the unavoidable reformation of Copy right laws, in one way or the
other,
> and this is surely something that has brought up alot of discussions
> on forums all over the internet.
>
> The short story is, the Pirate Party in Sweden got 7.1% of the votes in
> the recent EU election. That means that they are intitled to 1 chair in
the
> Swedish delegation. This is snipped right from
> http://www.piratpartiet.se/international/

It's been posted earlier I think.

> It's a long story but
> it all boils down to that I strongly feel that the Industry should be
fined
> for lying in their
> commersials. If a car manufacturer did the same (implied that the car
would
> do 300 Km/h and bring light, happiness and tons of women into your life,
> where infact it only does 120 km/h on a good day) there would be an outcry
> and that would be banned. Why is the Entertainment industry allowed to
> continuously hype their products? When was the last time anybody saw a
movie
> that lived up to it's trailers? We scream when Microsoft bend the minimum
> hardware requirement list but we allow Universal to paint up a picture of
> their new movie that it's just short of Mona Lisa as art.

OK, I understand that freeloading generation sees any industry that actually
manufactures stuff as evil and all that, but this is by far the weakest
argument I've seen. What next, the book jacket police? Editorial police?
It's rather hypocritical that the same people asking for lawlessness when it
comes to protecting intellectual property so they can benefit freely from
other people's works are the very same people who want actual producers to
be handtied and drowned in legislature.

> Yes, I know, entertainment is subjective. But there are standards that
most
> people agree on, and frankly, most of the mainstream rubbish that is
pushed
> onto us today is not worth the paper the posters were printed on.

This coming from the very same people who keep stealing the very thing they
badmouth is not convincing. If it's rubbish, don't buy it. Speak with yout
wallet. But more importantly, don't steal it - that's a sincere form of
flattery. Again, supreme hypocricy.

If a movie makes 50 million a weekend, you can call it rubbish all you want
atop your high horse, but it shows people see value in it, and are willing
to pay for their enjoyment. Fortunately, you cannot legislate taste or force
yours on everybody else. Someone sells something, someone else buys it, what
is it to you? Of course unless you are a closet fan but too cheap or
embarrassed to get in on the action through normal/legal channels.

> I just dont get it, want it and accept it any more. They live on the fact
> that people have to buy their products unseen and without warranty and of
> course they aren't interested in changing the laws. Of course one of the
> basic problems is that you have to experience the product before you can
> review it.

Internet is the supreme platform for user reviews (you though I was going to
say stealing, right?). Every Joe and Jane and their dog posts their opinions
for every single thing under the sun, so even if you don't care for
professional reviews, there's absolutely no excuse nowadays to feign
ignorance about the wealth of information available. It seems that the more
information is available, the louder the whiners get about being kept in the
dark by the "evil media". Those theater and opera goers of centuries past
who had but just immediate friends and a couple of "mainstream" (hence evil,
by definition) newsprints available for reviews would cringe at the thought
of internet generation complaining that media companies are keeping them in
the dark. If you are concerned about wasting your time and money, just wait
*1 day* after a movie is screened for deity's sake - it won't kill you,
trust me.

> Been ranting a bit..

I see that, but you need more consistent arguments and/or pick your fight
more wisely and one at a time.