POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Pirate Party takes a seat in the EU : The Pirate Party takes a seat in the EU Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:19:54 EDT (-0400)
  The Pirate Party takes a seat in the EU
From: Stefan Persson
Date: 9 Jun 2009 03:07:22
Message: <4a2e0a2a$1@news.povray.org>
Hi everybody. Long time, no see.

I'm not sure that this reached all corner of our beloved earth,
so I thought I would flash it. I know a lot of you guys are interested
in the unavoidable reformation of Copy right laws, in one way or the other,
and this is surely something that has brought up alot of discussions
on forums all over the internet.

The short story is, the Pirate Party in Sweden got 7.1% of the votes in
the recent EU election. That means that they are intitled to 1 chair in the
Swedish delegation. This is snipped right from
http://www.piratpartiet.se/international/

"The Pirate Party wants to fundamentally reform copyright law, get rid of
the patent system, and ensure that citizens' rights to privacy are
respected. With this agenda, and only this, we are making a bid for
representation in the European and Swedish parliaments."

Now, wether you like their politics or not, this will create alot of
discussions and stir up
the establishment (sounded a bit revolutionary there.. hehe) but that is
exactly what we need.
Many of the newspapers here has waved it off as a bunch of free-loaders that
just want
free movies to download. And yes, of course there are P2P:ers within the
movement, but those also exist in any other political party.

I recently got banned from one of the bigger CG forums because I wrote that
I think
the Entertainment industry doesn't take responsibility for it's products.
It's a long story but
it all boils down to that I strongly feel that the Industry should be fined
for lying in their
commersials. If a car manufacturer did the same (implied that the car would
do 300 Km/h and bring light, happiness and tons of women into your life,
where infact it only does 120 km/h on a good day) there would be an outcry
and that would be banned. Why is the Entertainment industry allowed to
continuously hype their products? When was the last time anybody saw a movie
that lived up to it's trailers? We scream when Microsoft bend the minimum
hardware requirement list but we allow Universal to paint up a picture of
their new movie that it's just short of Mona Lisa as art.

Yes, I know, entertainment is subjective. But there are standards that most
people agree on, and frankly, most of the mainstream rubbish that is pushed
onto us today is not worth the paper the posters were printed on.

I just dont get it, want it and accept it any more. They live on the fact
that people have to buy their products unseen and without warranty and of
course they aren't interested in changing the laws. Of course one of the
basic problems is that you have to experience the product before you can
review it.

Been ranting a bit.. just wanted to bring it up here.

Regards,

Stefan