POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : False "minimum system requirements" in modern games : Re: False "minimum system requirements" in modern games Server Time
9 Oct 2024 06:59:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: False "minimum system requirements" in modern games
From: Chambers
Date: 9 Jun 2009 01:59:52
Message: <4a2dfa58@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter wrote:
> I know this is tangential to the thrust of your post, and please forgive
> my ignorance, but in VERY GENERAL terms, how does a game run faster on
> two cores?  What is done to exploit the added processor?

You have to have two separate compute-heavy tasks that utilize different
sets of data.

In general, with current architectures its very difficult to get more
than two or three parallel tasks.  Generally, physics and graphics,
possibly AI or game logic (scripts and such).

Physics can be multithreaded fairly effectively, but in current
implementations it tends to use the same hardware the graphics system
uses.  So to boost one, you have to sacrifice the other.  Although I
believe NVidia offers the ability to dedicate a single card to physics,
and use the remaining card(s) for graphics (giving them an excuse to
sell tri-sli systems, with one card for physics and two for graphics).

--
Chambers