POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Smashing : Re: Smashing Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:26:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smashing
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 8 Jun 2009 17:14:15
Message: <4a2d7f27$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 21:55:05 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> No - but I've seen Brainiac...
>>
>> Mythbusters does air over there, but I forget on which channel.  You'd
>> probably like it - partly for the funthings they do, and partly because
>> you could deconstruct what they're doing and see the flaws in their
>> methods.
>
> Oh, I do watch it from time to time. A lot of the stuff they do isn't
> that interesting. I did see them testing whether you can use explosives
> to paint a room (no, oddly enough), whether shooting the window of an
> airplane causes it to explode (also no), whether that guy in the Darwin
> Awards could have got shot in the groin by using a bullet as a car fuse
> (yet again, no), and whether a coin dropped from the top of the Empire
> State Building would puncture human flesh (surprisingly, no).

You need to see the one where they used explosives to remove concrete
slag from a cement truck.  In fact pretty much any of the episodes where
they cause a big explosion is worth a watch. :-)

The thermite episode (recently) was very interesting - replicated a video
on Youtube where someone ignited thermite on a block of ice.  Thermite
isn't an explosive compound, but that combination did cause an explosion.

Jim