POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Smashing : Re: Smashing Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:14:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smashing
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 8 Jun 2009 17:12:13
Message: <4a2d7ead$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 21:55:38 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> I was under the impression that thermite is quite hard to ignite.
>>
>> Not particularly, no.  From Wikipedia:
>>
>> "Ignition of a thermite reaction normally requires only a simple
>> child's sparkler or easily obtainable magnesium ribbon, but may require
>> persistent efforts, as ignition can be unreliable and unpredictable."
>>
>> That said, if you have a good fuse or a blowtorch, it can be ignited
>> quite simply, at least from the demonstrations I've seen on
>> Mythbusters.
>
> Not too much danger of a parcel in the mail accidentally getting
> blowtorched, I would think...

Perhaps, but transporting dangerous materials through the mail is
prohibited in most locales.  It's generally shipped by special courier.

Some of the examples given, though, of things which can ignite it are
sparks (sparklers are apparently a popular way of igniting the stuff), or
anything where you've got metal that's burning (an angle grinder, I
imagine, throwing sparks could do it).

Jim