POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Smashing : Re: Smashing Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:15:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smashing
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 8 Jun 2009 16:40:20
Message: <4a2d7734$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 21:30:57 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> Mike Raiford wrote:
>> Invisible wrote:
>>
>>> If I were to go down this route, obviously I'd purchase some
>>> professionally prepaired thermite. But it seems kind of an expensive
>>> way just to get rid of some old SCSI HDs...
>>
>> I don't think they can ship the ingredients in a mixed state. Too much
>> potential for a high-intensity fire.
>
> I was under the impression that thermite is quite hard to ignite.

Not particularly, no.  From Wikipedia:

"Ignition of a thermite reaction normally requires only a simple child's
sparkler or easily obtainable magnesium ribbon, but may require
persistent efforts, as ignition can be unreliable and unpredictable."

That said, if you have a good fuse or a blowtorch, it can be ignited
quite simply, at least from the demonstrations I've seen on Mythbusters.

Jim