POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is why... : Re: This is why... Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:15:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is why...
From: John VanSickle
Date: 8 Jun 2009 08:11:16
Message: <4a2cffe4$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> ... American politics will never surge forward.

Thank God for that.  The last time any country "surged" politically, a
guy named Adolph Hitler got elected.

> Our system makes it exceedingly difficult to run on just one plank of a
> platform. You'd never see a politician elected without hearing every
> single opinion on every single element under debate.

What generally keeps things locked up is that large numbers of people,
on sides of the aisle, think that they will be utterly screwed if the
other party gains power.  It usually isn't quite that bad, but the
longer either party remains in power, the more the prediction gains the
appearance of truth (and a bit of the substance as well).

But the general condition is that on any topic, on party wants to have
things a certain way, for everybody, whereas the other party wants
everyone to decide for themselves.  The party that is for controlling
changes from topic to topic.  On some topics, such as firearms
ownership, the Democrats want the government to make the decisions
(whether or not you have a gun), whereas the Republicans generally want
each person free to decide.  On other topics, such as abortion, the
Republicans want the government to make the decision, whereas the
Democrats want each person to decide for herself.  There are no issues
where both parties want the people to decide for themselves, because
when that is the case, the topic is not an issue.  There are topics on
while both parties want the government to make the decisions, but
generally they both want the same decision to be made, to the topic is
not at issue.

The upshot of this is that on any issue, you are either with one party,
or you are with the other, or you are in wacky territory altogether and
will find your home in a fringe party.

If you are not consistently with one party, you will lose support from
that party.  Although much is made of the swing vote, getting out the
party base--that is, getting those who either vote for one party or stay
home--is actually the most important thing in any election, and the
turnovers in the 1994 and 2006 Congressional races, and the 1992, 2000
and 2008 presidential races, were the result of the losing party largely
failing to do this.

Regards,
John