POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Passion of the Christ : Re: Passion of the Christ Server Time
9 Oct 2024 07:01:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Passion of the Christ
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 7 Jun 2009 18:57:57
Message: <4a2c45f5@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> I think it's only when you're *not* utterly convinced but feel like you
> *should* be that the real fights start.

Hmm. So.. If I showed up an insisted that 9/11 was a conspiracy by the
US government, you would argue back based on "not being convinced, but
feeling you should be"? lol Seriously, there is a false dichotomy in
information, at times. A sense that, "All arguments have a solution that
is some place between the two extremes." When everyone agrees with this,
it can get heated, true, since there is often drastic differences in
"where" they think the middle point is, but, in point of fact, its also
possible to be absolutely convinced that, at least with respect to the
specific subject, one side is simply 100% wrong, and just not seeing the
picture. In the case of gods, this might be analogous to comparing the
statements, "I think 9/11 conspiracists are all nuts", to, "I think
anyone imagining that someone could 'ever' conspire to do anything is
absurd." Sadly, when these discussions crop up, the theist side is
arguing that atheists are arguing the later version, that "no" gods are
possible, which isn't necessary true at all, and is actually side
tracking the topic, while the atheist is usually arguing the former,
that the theists "specific" god, or assertions about them, as invalid,
unsupported, and/or even contradicted by their own sides actions,
members, or contradictory statements about even the arguments being
"made" by the theist on the subject.

The theist's argument invariably ends up all over the map, including
making accusations of what the atheist "means", "thinks", "believes",
which are neither expressed, stated, or implied by the atheists
arguments, yet, one feels forced to chase the theist around, trying to
cut them off and pin them back down on the original subject, never mind
specific points. Its why "no one" in their right mind goes to a debate
with such people, without clear rules in place before hand, as to what
the subject is, and how far they will be allowed to "drift", before the
host slaps them back into the right subject (if they even bother to do so).

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {