POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Passion of the Christ : Re: Passion of the Christ Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:24:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Passion of the Christ
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 7 Jun 2009 18:27:49
Message: <4a2c3ee5$1@news.povray.org>
Tim Attwood wrote:
>>> This kind of thread can cause no good.
>>
>> Just out of curiosity, and I ask this as an atheist asking an
>> intelligent person of faith, do you think it's ever possible to have a
>> useful discussion between disagreeing parties? :-)
>>
>> I find discussing it can be useful to me, not because it makes me
>> change my mind or because I change someone else's mind, but because it
>> lets me understand the other point of view better, and lets me deal
>> with religion better.
>
> Don't let the trolls bother you.
> People that do good things are good, just like Jesus is good.
> People that do bad things are evil, just like the devil who has
> done bad things since the beginning.
> That's why Jesus came: to destroy the devil's works.
> When someone has love in his heart, he wants to do good
> things, but when someone has angry hatred inside, he wants
> to do evil things. That's why God sent Jesus, because he
> loves us, and that love frees us from the bonds of hate and
> death.

You should have left off with the first sentence. The rest is just
argument ad hominem. I.e., the, entirely unsupported, and false,
assertion, in contradiction, to all evidence, that people like Samuel
Clemens, lacking belief in a god, must, in nearly all cases, be "evil",
while the dozens of priests in Ireland, recently found to have beaten
and molested kids, but believing in god, must be automatically more
likely to be "good". Sorry, but... belief doesn't make people good. On
the contrary, it simply gives evil people a holy book they can quote
mine to find bits and pieces to use to "justify" being evil, while still
imagining that "god" wants them to do it. Non-believers have a much more
direct excuse, they tend to imagine themselves untouchable, too smart to
be stopped, and don't give a frack about other people. They don't try to
excuse their actions by claiming someone "else" told them to do it. It
is a whole hell of a lot easier to see the insanity and lack of
compassion in such people, without the mask of "religious conviction" to
hide the fact that it has jack to do with what any god or devil wants,
and ***everything*** to do with what *they* want.

After all, even in "good" people, god always seems to want them to do
"precisely" what they intended to do anyway, even when "other" good
people think what they chose to do was inappropriate, wrong, or less
godly that what "they" would have done. Odd how that works...

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {