POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Pausing processes between reboots : Re: Pausing processes between reboots Server Time
17 May 2024 01:49:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pausing processes between reboots
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 7 Jun 2009 14:31:01
Message: <4a2c0765$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 07 Jun 2009 08:10:28 -0400, Valerij Rozouvan wrote:

> I want to pause a process, reboot my computer, and continue running that
> processes. Is it possible? For example rendering a large POV-Ray render
> job can take weeks, if not months. So it would be beneficial to be able
> to turn off your computer temporarily (for whatever reason). I googled,
> but beyond "kill -STOP pid" and "kill -CONT pid" (see below) couldn't
> find anything useful.

Povray can continue (as someone already pointed out), but you can also
break the render into smaller parts.

But with a Linux box, you shouldn't have to reboot that frequently - so
perhaps the question you ask shouldn't be "how do I pause/resume a
process with a reboot in between" but rather "what's wrong with my system
or my workflow that's causing me to reboot my system so much?"

Jim