POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Pausing processes between reboots : Re: Pausing processes between reboots Server Time
17 May 2024 19:52:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pausing processes between reboots
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 7 Jun 2009 10:54:47
Message: <4a2bd4b7@news.povray.org>
Valerij Rozouvan wrote:
> "clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>> However, speaking of POV-Ray in particular, you can abort a render, and resume
>> it later using the +C command line option (make sure all other options are the
>> same).
>
> I am aware of this. However, it is sufficient only in the case when you stop a
> render job once or twice. If you do it every couple of lines, the startup times
> for each new resume add up. Now you can imagine that if a line takes 10~15
> minutes, it would take 5~6 days of constant rendering (800x600 image). Now if
> you introduce interrupt/resume, it will take MORE than 12 days (assuming that
> you render half of a day). I imagine that it will take close to 2 months! Why?
> Because when POV-Ray resumes a job with 2 lines already rendered, it processes
> them fairly quickly (5~10 minutes), and starts rendering new lines. But if it
> starts a resumed render with 200~300 lines, it will take ~11 hours!!!! before
> it will get to actually rendering new material...

How did you come up with those numbers? This sounds more like POV-Ray is
actually rendering the image again. Did you check the message output? It
takes only seconds to continue a render! What version are you using, and
what is your setup? You are not by any chance trying to resume a render over
a slow connection like an NFS share or something like that?

	Thorsten, POV-Team