POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : False "minimum system requirements" in modern games : Re: False "minimum system requirements" in modern games Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:18:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: False "minimum system requirements" in modern games
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 7 Jun 2009 05:02:21
Message: <4a2b821d$1@news.povray.org>

news:4a2acc3f@news.povray.org...
>  I have noticed a curious pattern in many of the newest (and not even so
> new) games: They will often list as "minimum requirements" specs which are
> much higher than what would be sufficient to run the game. Especially this
> seems to be the case with the CPU.

I don't know about game makers, but I do list "higher than necessary minimum
requirements specs" to customers because lots of Windows machines are filled
with CPU-hogging, RAM-eating crapware (installed by the
computer maker or by the user) that completely nullify the actual minimum
requirements. Machines that are well cared for would be fine with those
specs, but that's not the case for the general population. After seeing some
of my stuff crawl on other people's machines (where it should have run
smoothly), raising the requirements a little bit was definitely a good
practice, and I'm not even talking about games or CPU-intensive software,
just simple office applications.

G.