POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why is defragging so slow? : Re: Why is defragging so slow? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:24:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why is defragging so slow?
From: Darren New
Date: 6 Jun 2009 00:19:38
Message: <4a29ee5a@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> You want me to what? Find a web page written by someone even more
> annoyed by the behavior than I am to give a jaded statement to the same
> effect?

I rest my case.

> Seriously though, I don't dispute that it "does" move things
> around. What it doesn't do is "move them if it doesn't see any reason
> to, and consolidating free space isn't always, apparently, a 'reason'".

The XP defragger usually consolodated much free space for me. Not 100%, but
certainly some.

> And it flat out refuses to move things that it "could", if the bothered
> to put in some way to copy a block of an "in use" file,

I'm glad you know better than Microsoft how easy it is to do that sort of thing.

> and.. well do
> the stuff that defraggers do to every other file anyway. I mean, can you
> seriously tell me that they couldn't come up with "some" way to be able
> to, I don't know, write a block of memory to some other part of the
> virtual file, then invalidate the part being moved, then revert again
> when done, or "something"?

I don't even know what you're talking about there.

> And, the idea that DOS based defraggers where the only ones in 3.11
> isn't "entirely" accurate. The Norton one came up during 3.11, and it
> "did" defrag "everything", at that time, including the virtual memory
> file, and just about anything and everything else "except" for a small
> handful of active files in the OS. Say, 90% of all the stuff that no
> defragger today will even touch, for the most part.

FAT is a lot easier to defrag than NTFS, yes. But feel free to continue
ranting while cackling gleefully. ;-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)