POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why is defragging so slow? : Re: Why is defragging so slow? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:27:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why is defragging so slow?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 5 Jun 2009 23:16:39
Message: <4a29df97$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> There is a relevant difference between DOS Defrag and a Windows one,
>> back when Win3.11 "was" basically just DOS with a GUI? lol
>
> Yes, lol. Because you ran the defrag under DOS, nothing else ran at the
> same time, lol.

>>> Cite?  Certainly the XP defragmenter moves files around to open up
>>> free spaces.
>> Hmm. Nope.
>
> OK. I guess you don't know what "cite" means. :-)

You want me to what? Find a web page written by someone even more
annoyed by the behavior than I am to give a jaded statement to the same
effect? lol Seriously though, I don't dispute that it "does" move things
around. What it doesn't do is "move them if it doesn't see any reason
to, and consolidating free space isn't always, apparently, a 'reason'".
And it flat out refuses to move things that it "could", if the bothered
to put in some way to copy a block of an "in use" file, and.. well do
the stuff that defraggers do to every other file anyway. I mean, can you
seriously tell me that they couldn't come up with "some" way to be able
to, I don't know, write a block of memory to some other part of the
virtual file, then invalidate the part being moved, then revert again
when done, or "something"?

And, the idea that DOS based defraggers where the only ones in 3.11
isn't "entirely" accurate. The Norton one came up during 3.11, and it
"did" defrag "everything", at that time, including the virtual memory
file, and just about anything and everything else "except" for a small
handful of active files in the OS. Say, 90% of all the stuff that no
defragger today will even touch, for the most part.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {