POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why is defragging so slow? : Re: Why is defragging so slow? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:23:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why is defragging so slow?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 5 Jun 2009 23:07:29
Message: <4a29dd71$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> Everyone uses the same API. If there's a reason the files can't be moved, no
>> program is going to be able to move them.
>
>   MyDefrag was able to move those strange clusters, even though it uses the
> regular defragmenter system API to do so...

Ah, but see... They used it in a "non-standard" way. In all likelihood,
with Win7 they will release a new .DEFRAG API, which ***accidentally***
breaks this non-standard method, while offering some crazy ass
alternative, like using another drive to "automatically" tranfer files,
temporarily, so they are defragged when copied back (will only work if
you have multiple drives/partitions), kind of like how they provides
some new ways in .NET to "fake" access to the old IUNKNOWN functions in
the ActiveX API, which where never properly documented, and couldn't be
used easily, thereby letting you hot-load new .NET objects, and allow
your application to use them without "hard coding" the interfaces into
your application before hand, but which also, even more completely,
prevents you using them in the "design mode" that is only available to
you when "building" an interface in Visual Studio.

See, there are plenty of documents that, and I love this, tell you how
to "make" controls that "respond to" design mode, so you can better
handle them in Visual Studio, but... gods forbid someone wants to make
an application of their own that took advantage of that feature, so you
could "design" an interface, and say.. save it to a layout document, to
be reloaded later, when actually using the new interface. Your only
"allowed" to do that via the Visual Studio. And now, you can't even
"try" to do it without that, because the new .NET buries the interfaces
and APIs needed to even attempt it under 50 new layers of BS (while
giving you half of what you wanted in the first place).

So, basically, figure that if this is a feature people will want, its
something MS will provide "half" of the function for in the new API,
while simultaneously making it completely impossible to use the new API
to get "all" of the functionality any more. ;) lol

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();