POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe! : Re: iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe! Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:23:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe!
From: Darren New
Date: 5 Jun 2009 21:01:07
Message: <4a29bfd3$1@news.povray.org>
Mueen Nawaz wrote:
> 	I don't really know. Lots of books (e.g. novels) have a notice inside
> prohibiting the owner from reproducing, and even selling

In the US, we have the "first sale" doctrine. It says that if I buy a copy
of a copyrighted work, it's mine to do with as I please. Publishers were
trying to make it illegal to sell used books here, and the courts said
"Nope, that's not copying. The buyer owns the copy. You don't get to control
what happens after."

So that's kind of where I'm coming from.

I should probably take a class to brush up on this stuff, tho, since the
laws have changed so much here since I learned about it.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)