POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why is defragging so slow? : Re: Why is defragging so slow? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:15:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why is defragging so slow?
From: Darren New
Date: 5 Jun 2009 13:30:40
Message: <4a295640$1@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> The command-line tools work in terms of whole files. The syscall takes a
> file descriptor and a byte range.
>
> readahead-watch(8): Watches the mount points given, or the root filesystem,
> for files opened during the boot sequence and closed without writing to
> them.  Orders the list by on-disk position and then writes it to the output
> file.
>
> readahead-list(8): Loads lists from the given file and performs readahead(2)
> on each entry.
>
> readahead(2): populates the page cache with data from a file so that
> subsequent reads from that file will not block on disk I/O.

Yeah! That's exactly what I need on Vista. :-)  Especially if it would read
the whole file in one blow, or at least each contiguous piece. The vista
mechanisms just don't really do the trick, I think.

Actually, with the USN, you wouldn't even need readahead-watch. Just parse
the USN journal since the last boot and build the list from that. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)