POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe! : Re: iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe! Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:18:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe!
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 5 Jun 2009 13:27:28
Message: <4a295580$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 04 Jun 2009 16:58:57 -0300, Nicolas Alvarez wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> I don't know if Windows can use it, but from Linux I use gnupod and it
>> doesn't care about the iPod being paired with one and only one
>> computer.
>
> Note that no free software* in the world can currently interact with the
> music database of devices running iPhone OS 2.0 or later.
>
> * (I didn't say "freeware", I mean it in the FSF way; although I doubt
> there is any proprietary-but-gratis software that can do it, either)

Yeah, Apple changed the hashing algorithm again and started issuing DMCA
takedown notices for sites that disclose information about the hash,
apparently.

I really like my Mini and if I could get Rockbox to work with my in-car
player as well as my iHome, I'd ditch the Apple firmware permanently.  My
next mp3 player will probably not be an iPod (or from Apple) because of
the heavy-handed tactics they're using.

Jim