POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why is defragging so slow? : Re: Why is defragging so slow? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:13:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why is defragging so slow?
From: Darren New
Date: 5 Jun 2009 12:34:59
Message: <4a294933$1@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> There is a tool that records file reads. You configure it to run, then
> reboot, and login, maybe open some apps you usually use. Next time you
> reboot, another tool will read the recorded log and use the readahead
> syscall on them. The file list is even sorted by their physical location on
> the disk.

Yeah, XP has that built in, and Vista to an even greater extent. But they
only work on (AFAIU) the demand-paged blocks, not entire files. Does the
Linux tool read an entire file, or just the parts that were paged in at
start-up? I suspect 5 seconds would be plenty to read all the login files if
the heads didn't thrash like mad.

It just seems like it could be done better. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)