POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe! : Re: iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe! Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:16:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe!
From: Darren New
Date: 5 Jun 2009 12:22:42
Message: <4a294652$1@news.povray.org>
Mueen Nawaz wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>> Mueen Nawaz wrote:
>>> Likely the license terms are that they not be sold abroad -
>>> particularly back to the US. The reasoning makes sense.
>> Then the question becomes who is violating the license, and when?
>
> 	The person who sold it to me (online). Occasionally, these books are
> shipped from abroad, but most of the time they're being sold within the
> US. Either way, the seller knows where he's shipping to.

But you're saying the seller is in the US also? Sure, if he's in India and
mailing you books to the US, I can see that. I was talking about the people
who buy them in India, carry them to the US, and then sell them to others in
the US. Potentially someone without any contract with the original publisher.

I imagine the book store has a contract with the original publisher in which
they agree not to sell them overseas. That's a bit different than what I'm
talking about.

>> Can the publisher enforce on me a contract by printing it inside the
>> book? Am I required by US law to uphold a contract in India? Are you
>> breaking Indian law by buying a book in the US sold to you in the US?
>
> 1. At least for the Indian books, it's usually listed either on the
> front or back cover. Don't recall for the Korean ones...

Whichever. The point is that for it to be a contract, I have to agree to it.
You can't just print something and say "Ha, gotcha!"

> 2. That's why I said I don't know the legal implications. It's a
> violation in Indian law, but I don't know about US law.

Yeah, that's what I was asking. You'd have to have a specific law in the US,
not just some random pseudo-contract printed on the outside of the book.

> 3. I doubt it. The condition says "not to be sold", not "not to be
> bought". I wasn't informed in advance that there was a condition on it,
> so I don't see why I should be liable.

Right. I was just wondering if I went to India, bought a bunch of books off
the shelf, stuck it in my luggage, came back to the US, and sold them,
whether it would be breaking any laws, and if so, whose laws and when?

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)