POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why is defragging so slow? : Re: Why is defragging so slow? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:17:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why is defragging so slow?
From: Darren New
Date: 5 Jun 2009 11:51:20
Message: <4a293ef8$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
> Why can't you just copy all the files while the OS isn't running?  eg
> from another PC/OS/LiveCD/boot disc?

You could if you have the permissions, of course. You just can't copy the
drive you booted off of because of the registry. Most specifically, you
can't copy *to* the drive you booted off of.

There are a few immovable files (like the one holding the boot code, the
MFT, etc). There are a couple types of unmovable files (like the system
restore checkpoints, which have coded in their data the cluster numbers they
represent). There are permission systems designed to keep you from writing
to the file that holds the security information. You can't use the normal
access mechanisms (i.e., "copy") to copy the registry files around because
of security concerns.

It's just much more complicated than Linux. It's not impossible, or nobody
would be able to back up their computer. But the only software I've found
that actually will make a complete backup and then *restore* it uses imaging
techniques, not per-file copying.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)