POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : New camera, or new camera docs illustrations. : Re: New camera, or new camera docs illustrations. Server Time
28 May 2024 12:32:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New camera, or new camera docs illustrations.
From: Chambers
Date: 5 Jun 2009 10:41:28
Message: <4a292e98$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
> I think I am saying "I don't care about aspect ratio in my scene", but
> POV interprets this as "I will fix your aspect ratio for you and give
> you rectangular pixels" which is totally backwards.

You don't seem to understand POV.  When POV-Ray renders a scene, it
renders it *exactly* the same way, every time.  The *output* file does
NOT change the scene you are given.

If YOU specify a resolution that gives you non-square pixels, POV will
oblige.  The output image will exactly fill any resolution you throw at
POV, from 1x10,000, to 1600x1200, to 2458x123.  In any of the
situations, if you mapped the resulting image to an identical area of
your screen, the image will be the same.

If YOU specify a resolution with non-square pixels, then that's YOUR
choice, and POV assumes you know what you're doing (frequently, you do).
  POV does NOT assume that you're an idiot who can't do 4th grade math
and try to correct the image for you.

--
Chambers