POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe! : Re: iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe! Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:17:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe!
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 5 Jun 2009 10:17:36
Message: <4a292900$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Mueen Nawaz wrote:
>> Likely the license terms are that they not be sold abroad -
>> particularly back to the US. The reasoning makes sense.
>
> Then the question becomes who is violating the license, and when?

	The person who sold it to me (online). Occasionally, these books are
shipped from abroad, but most of the time they're being sold within the
US. Either way, the seller knows where he's shipping to.

> Can the publisher enforce on me a contract by printing it inside the
> book? Am I required by US law to uphold a contract in India? Are you
> breaking Indian law by buying a book in the US sold to you in the US?

1. At least for the Indian books, it's usually listed either on the
front or back cover. Don't recall for the Korean ones...

2. That's why I said I don't know the legal implications. It's a
violation in Indian law, but I don't know about US law.

3. I doubt it. The condition says "not to be sold", not "not to be
bought". I wasn't informed in advance that there was a condition on it,
so I don't see why I should be liable. The sites do say "international
edition", but they don't say from which country and under what
agreements. In the old days (i.e. early 2000's<G>), such books usually
meant paperbacks from Europe (with no such terms written on them) - so I
can claim lack of knowledge...

--
Objects in calendar are closer than they appear.

                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl