POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why is defragging so slow? : Re: Why is defragging so slow? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:14:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why is defragging so slow?
From: Warp
Date: 5 Jun 2009 08:30:34
Message: <4a290fea@news.povray.org>
Fredrik Eriksson <fe79}--at--{yahoo}--dot--{com> wrote:
> Try analysing the drive with MyDefrag (http://www.mydefrag.com).

  That program actually did the trick. It moved those tiny files to make
space. Now my C drive layout looks like this, *with* that huge file and
*with* the Windows page file:

http://warp.povusers.org/snaps/c-drive3.png

  (AFAIK those gaps are intentionally left by MyDefrag. The idea is that
programs creating small temp files will create them in those gaps, and
since the gaps are close to the beginning of the disk, they will be faster
to access.)

  So what were those tiny files which other defraggers refused to move?
I don't know. MyDefrag gave weird names to them. I don't remember exactly
now, but they were something like C:\$SOMETHING:$SOMETHINGE_ELSE

  I don't remember the exact names, but they looked meaningful. Maybe they
were somehow related to the NTFS file system.

--
                                                          - Warp