POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : UK mains voltage : Re: UK mains voltage Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:15:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: UK mains voltage
From: scott
Date: 5 Jun 2009 02:22:35
Message: <4a28b9ab$1@news.povray.org>
>> 230V RMS at 50 Hz. (I don't see any sources stating what the allowable
>> variation in frequency is.)
>>

> Frequency shouldn't vary much. Some alarm clocks are dependent on the
> frequency of the power feed.

Yeh, the frequency depends on how much power is demanded and what generation
capacity is online.  In a grid power system like the UK they control the
frequency by bringing up and shutting down various power generators to cope
with the demand.  I don't know what the short-term allowed variation is, but
over the longer-term (eg 1 day) it is controlled very accurately, enough for
clocks to run off it.