POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe! : Re: iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe! Server Time
9 Oct 2024 09:58:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe!
From: scott
Date: 5 Jun 2009 01:51:55
Message: <4a28b27b@news.povray.org>
> Woops.  I began to suspect that I might be wrong here.  If I was in Japan,
> then I would, in fact, not be able to download songs from the US.  Plus,
> they say that they check your country of origin to make sure that it
> corresponds to your address.  So...  If I happen to be living in Japan for
> 3 months, without a permanent address, I would be forbidden from
> downloading anything from any iTunes?  Sigh...

It just seems that some companies are very shortsighted and do not consider
that people go abroad for periods of time.

For example I had this with a Poker website, because all my bank details are
from my UK address but my IP address is in Germany.  They basically didn't
want my business.  They even froze my account after I had won some money.
In the end I just gave up trying to talk to them.  Have been using a
different site since then and had no problems whatsoever.

Even the UK driving licensing agency can't cope.  A UK driving license is an
EU license, so is valid to use and keep in any EU country (no need to
change).  However, they won't let you change your address to a non-UK one!
So when I called to ask what I should do (as I was moving to Germany) they
suggested I change the address to a friend or relative in the UK that could
forward any mail!