POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe! : Re: iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe! Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:16:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe!
From: Darren New
Date: 5 Jun 2009 01:33:38
Message: <4a28ae32$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> Well, yes, but "everything" can be included in the "no other use is
> permitted" language.

True.

> Oh yes, I do remember those - I wanted one of those DeCSS T-Shirts, in
> fact, but never got around to purchasing one.

I think I still have the one with PGP encoded as barcodes on it. I was
actually involved in a company helping to fund the legal fund for that one.

> I'm not sure why they
> didn't use that argument (or why it didn't work if they did use it).

In part, they wanted the Louisiana venue because it was Napoleanic, and
hence much friendlier to the attacking party. One defendant was in
California and the other in Ontario or some such, IIRC, but they brought
suit in Lousiana based on both companies having customers in Louisiana.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)