POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why is defragging so slow? : Re: Why is defragging so slow? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:18:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why is defragging so slow?
From: Darren New
Date: 5 Jun 2009 01:28:05
Message: <4a28ace5$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Simplest answer is, it behaved that way in 3.11, when it was "even more
> critical",

Huh?  Did MS make a defragmenter for Win3.11? I thought it was just the dos
defrag? All the third-party defrags I remember using did a fine job of
defragmenting absolutely everything.

> and MS never bothered to steal the idea of fixing it from the
> few companies whose products **did** do it. ;)

Cite?  Certainly the XP defragmenter moves files around to open up free
spaces.  I suspect it's just files that have absolute addresses in them,
like the UNC and system restore points.

Hey Warp, if you get it defragged, let us know what it was? :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)