POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why is defragging so slow? : Re: Why is defragging so slow? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:14:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why is defragging so slow?
From: Darren New
Date: 4 Jun 2009 22:16:05
Message: <4a287fe5$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Why does it take such a humongous amount of time? I can't understand.

Speaking of which, on a slightly different topic...

When I boot and auto-login, it takes about 3 minutes before everything is
all settled down and happy.

If I log out, then log back in again, I'm back within maybe 5 seconds,
because everything's already in RAM and such.

I bet the thing would boot way faster if it just loaded the entire
executable for everything it needs to load at the time the program is
launched, rather than letting demand paging fight it out. I have enough RAM
to comfortably hold everything I run, so why not?  I guess that'll get put
in eventually. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)