POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : interesting shape: CA, DF3, isosurface (284k jpg) : Re: interesting shape: CA, DF3, isosurface (284k jpg) Server Time
6 May 2024 23:30:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: interesting shape: CA, DF3, isosurface (284k jpg)
From: Darren New
Date: 4 Jun 2009 21:15:07
Message: <4a28719b$1@news.povray.org>
stbenge wrote:
> Here is the result of a 256x256-cell, 2D cellular automata sim played
> out in 128 frames and copied into a df3 file.

A very awesome visualization. Very cool. I bet if you got a glider gun, you
could see the leaning towers. :-)

> Thanks goes out to Warp. Last year he posted an example of how to write
> df3 files in C++. I was able to adapt his code to mine and run with it.

Speaking of which, I just posted "MakeDF3" to p.b.utilities. It's a
stand-alone Windows program (with portable Tcl source) that will read a file
of x,y,z,v tuples and generate an appropriate binary DF3 file. Just in case
you're working in BASIC or something and don't have convenient binary
output. ;-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)