POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe! : Re: iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe! Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:16:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe!
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 4 Jun 2009 19:10:23
Message: <4a28545f$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 04 Jun 2009 16:03:50 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Right. That's why I said "DMCA notwithstanding".

Problem is, we can't choose to ignore DMCA.  I'm not sure I follow you
here.

> "Illegal copies." Now, is it OK to circumvent to make legal copies?
> That's what I was trying to say before - I think there's specifically
> language in the DMCA to allow circumvention of necessary to use the
> material as intended.

But in the case you put forth, use of a program that is restricted in
platform through technological means is not use of the program "as
intended".  I guess part of the question is "intended by whom?".

Taking Jeremy's suggested idea, I purchase a program that's developed to
run on the Mac, but I don't have a Mac.  If my intention is the important
one and my intention is to run it on a Linux-based PC, would it be legal
for me to reverse-engineer the program in order to recompile it to run on
Linux?  I would seriously doubt that, and I think a challenge on that
basis would ultimately fail in court.

Jim