POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe! : Re: iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe! Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:20:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe!
From: Darren New
Date: 4 Jun 2009 19:03:51
Message: <4a2852d7$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> Are you talking about Vault v. Quaid Software Ltd?  (Vault made software
> called Prolock that was used to provide copy protection of computer
> software)

That's the case I'm thinking of, yes.

> But the fifth Circuit Cort of Appeals did hold that the license
> agreement's provisions were unenforceable because federal copyright law
> pre-empted the Louisiana License Act.

Right.

> That would seem to set a precedent that federal law trumps state law;
> DMCA, being a federal law, prohibits reverse engineering, and whether you
> or I or anyone likes the DMCA, it is a current law on the books that
> specifically prohibits circumventing technological measures put in place
> to prevent illegal copies from being made.

Right. That's why I said "DMCA notwithstanding".

"Illegal copies." Now, is it OK to circumvent to make legal copies? That's
what I was trying to say before - I think there's specifically language in
the DMCA to allow circumvention of necessary to use the material as intended.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)