POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe! : Re: iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe! Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:20:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe!
From: Darren New
Date: 4 Jun 2009 18:52:41
Message: <4a285039$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Jun 2009 15:21:20 -0400, Jeremy \"UncleHoot\" Praay wrote:
>
>> Nevertheless, DMCA aside, it has
>> never been illegal to do anything you want to any copyrighted work,
>
> Any copyrighted work that you purchase a copy of.  That's why software
> companies tend to not sell you the software, but a license to use the
> software.  It's my understanding that the licensing agreement is intended
> to be what it is you are purchasing, the media included notwithstanding.

But there are various limitations on how you can enforce such a thing. For
example, say you buy a game, open the CD, put it in your drive, install it,
and then it asks you if you agree to the license. Will the game store take
that back if you didn't accept the license at that point?  If not, you
bought it under copyright.

The box doesn't say they're selling you a license. It says they're selling
you a copy of the game. If you get it home and find you only bought a
license, you could probably claim bait-and-switch. :-) Plus, it's still the
case that a license can't take away rights granted to you by copyright law.
That's exactly what the Copywrite v Prolock case was about.

Both of these facts have come up in various court cases, and in each case
the court managed to find some way of not addressing the fundamental
problem. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)